Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bond Girl by Erin Duffy

Bond Girl, Erin Duffy's entry into the world of literature - it is safe to say this book is a combination of Wall Street meets The Devil Wears Prada -- Erin Duffy consciously combined aspects of those two stories to come up with hers. All thoughts along those lines should be banished -- ~Out with the old and in with the new~ — Bond Girl is a "fresh?", "original?" take on the financial market and the women vs men scenario at topic which has surfaced since the days of Helen Gurley Brown ~Yes everyone I do know she was the former editor-in-chief for Cosmopolitan from 1965 to 1997 -- basically the spearhead of the female freedom..Don't think I don't know these things when I write my reviews~

Let's face it, Bond Girl isn't “fresh”, “hip” and "original" nor is it even remotely funny. You could basically see the ending of the story from a mile away -- financial crashes (considering this book is about the financial market in the first place -- this is probabely the only juicy stuff it could put out.. And I won't even start about the relationship -- because that deserves a slam paragraph of its own that's how averagely bad it was.. Basically this book was mellow and empty. The only thing you may find interesting about this book is the brief, extremely brief look into the workings of a bond department -- ~Yes finally some inner workings into the stock market -- gone in a flash~..

I didn't hate this book but I was frustrated by a lot of it -- so I'll say its pretty average..

Alex Garrett, ~the women in the middle of the men -- please take your mind out of the gutter when reading that OK..~ the blurb makes her sound like a courageous, brave, unstoppable and independant woman -- but take me seriously when I say the classic line -- don't judge a book by it's cover (or blurb for that matter).. Some books succeed and some books fail to back up their glossy and enticing blurbs and covers when it comes to reading matter.. Now don't start thinking that this book was outstanding -- for me it didn't feel that way.. The protagonist is basically a moot point character -- nothing really stands out about her - yeah she may get ballsy at times but she definitely made the worst decisions..

The Relationship -- on-going, mixed signals relationship with a co-worker, Will. You may pick up some huge warning signs that there is something Will is hiding long before Alex does. In fact, I'd say that is my biggest frustration with the novel--how long it takes Alex to put the pieces together and pull her head out of the sand about Will.. This relationship did not show me that this was a “smart” or good book nor did it prove that Alex was a smart and independent woman like the blurb made her out to be.. She pushed away good men for that cheating bastard -- bad decision by her -- she payed for it in the end.. I absolutely hated how she acted like it was the end of the world when it (the breakup) happened -- she was a downright downer.. She even had an opportunity to pick herself up and become a strong character but she just had to drown in her sad emotions didn't she.. ~Sorry I'm rambling but I can't help it -- this book was destined for more and didn't live up to expectations~

This book is almost identical to “The Devil Wears Prada” -- the only difference in Bond Girl is that Alex’s mentor/boss "Chick" ~It isn't his name just a nickname I swear -- they all have nicknames.. That was one good point -- made it more familiar but other than that NO WAY was it a good book~ is not gay..

The other thing that peeved me off was of course the ending -- the ending in a good book is supposed to draw things to a close OR leave the reader at a cliffhanger wanting more.. Frankly this book did neither of those...Why? Alex hinted at a new career, but an explanation? NO..NONE ..ZIP.. NADA. Alex immediately has to go find the good-guy-that-she-dated-but-blew-off THE DAY she quit her job and spent the afternoon crying "like a fifth grader" ~Quoted from Alex herself~.. It's easily understand that Alex wanted new beginnings -- it was totally rushed to me -- it seemed like the author was done and wanted to tie everything up as quickly as possible -- it definitely reflected. Overally, I enjoyed parts of the book, but felt that the writing was weak overall. I felt this book was written weakly, there was no substance to the plot and the characters were flimsy.. I'd recommend this book to readers who like average boring books ~I should hope there is nobody like that~

Ryan:)

No comments:

Post a Comment